Since the promotion rules have changed on Facebook, many pages have either continued doing their giveaways against the rules or struggle with how to comply. The new rules are at https://www.facebook.com/page_guidelines.php If you have a Facebook Fan Page for your business then you need to read and follow these rules. Comment giveaways, like votes and referral contests are no longer allowed.
Velvet Burger and Hell Pizza are two examples of pages that were shut down for running illegal contests. Here is a blog post about what happened. http://www.marketinggum.com/what-you-cannot-do-on-facebook-page-admins-read-these-rules/
As a business owner I wanted to make sure I was acting in integrity and running a promotion that benefitted my fans and was not against the rule. I did some research and found a free app that is Facebook compliant.
I just finished a 2 week giveaway using Rafflecopter. Each of the 12 sponsors (plus my 2 pages) gained 400-500 fans. And the winner won a $309.99 Diono Radian R120 Car Seat. Many have asked me to outline how I did this event.
1. I posted on my pages asking for other business pages that would like to sponsor the event. I created a google doc so they could easily give me all the info needed for me to create the event. I charged each sponsor $25. I received 12 sponsors in less than a week and then closed the doc. The document also outlined their duties and their agreement to promote the event on their pages and blogs as well.
2. I asked each sponsor for their Facebook fan page link, web site link, plus one other social media action they would like those entering to complete (follow on twitter, follow on Pinterest, subscribe to a blog or subscribe to a newsletter).
3. I created a facebook group so we could all talk and share together.
4. Then I created the Rafflecopter widget with the 2 actions for each sponsor. I added the widget to my blog and also linked to each sponsors website so they gained incoming links. This gave each person up to 46 entries into the promotion if they did all the actions. http://www.mypreciouskid.com/blog/2013/01/diono-radian-r120-car-seat-giveaway/
5. Rafflecopter has an easy add to Facebook tab option. So each of the sponsors and myself added the widget to our pages. Mine is at https://www.facebook.com/MyPreciousKid/app_228910107186452 So 14 pages were promoting this event.
6. Then on the starting date we all promoted it where ever we could. I did a search for “Rafflecopter linky” and posted the event on lots of pages with these. When promoting the event I used my blog link as I find those on phone often have a difficult time entering thru the Facebook tab widget. This also increases my blog traffic and subscribers.
7. I ran the event from February 1 – 15th, 2013. We had 12,876 entries. Each sponsor gained 400-500 new fans. I had Rafflecopter select a winner. I emailed the winner and gave them 48 hours to respond. The winner did so, then I ship out the prize. The amount I charge the sponsors pays for the seat and the shipping.
If you are a business with a fan page then follow me at https://www.facebook.com/BuildItRightBusiness
There I share business building tips and how to work within Facebooks rules to increase your business.
Also get our free Business Building Tips ebook at http://www.builditrightbusiness.com/ten-building-blocks/
And if you are a parent or grandparent follow me at https://www.facebook.com/MyPreciousKid
and see my parenting tips and giveaways.